Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Best receiver you haven't heard of: Houston's Andre Johnson


Great Article in today's "USA Today" about Houston Texans receiver Andre Johnson. Written by Gary Mihoces

HOUSTON — Andre Johnson, who had more catches for more yards than anybody in the NFL last season, shuns sideshows and showboating. That is something 10-year-old Brant Walker admires about his football hero.

"I haven't ever seen him jump into the stands or do anything like that. He just gives the ball to the ref," says the youngster, who got to meet Johnson recently at the Houston Texans' camp after making the 635-mile drive here from Plainview, Texas, with his mom.

Johnson also is not inclined to engage in verbal sparring on the field or in the media.

"I've been here going on seven years now. You've never seen me talking any trash. That's not part of my game," he says.

But surely, as a star wide receiver in the NFL, he must do some give-me-the-ball lobbying?

"He doesn't have to say it because that's who we're looking for anyway," says Texans quarterback Matt Schaub.

"I'm always in tune with where he is and who is covering him and what defenses are doing. We're always trying to get him the ball."

Houston selected the 6-3, 228-pound Johnson No. 3 overall in the 2003 draft out of the University of Miami, where he also was a Big East sprint champion in track.

He had 1,000-yard receiving seasons in 2004 and 2006. In 2007, he missed seven games with a knee injury and slipped to 851 yards.

Last season, it all came together with 115 receptions for 1,575 yards and eight touchdowns. Of his receptions, 79 produced first downs, also No. 1 in the league.

The message he draws from last season is to stay grounded.

"Just as you can be one of the top guys in the league, you could easily be one of the bottom guys. So I don't take that for granted," he says.

"I want people to keep saying that Andre Johnson goes out and plays the game right. And he plays as one of the top guys in the league. I'm going to continue to carry myself that way on the field and work hard as I can every time I come out here and not take it for granted because you never know."

Johnson's goal this season is to help the young Houston franchise to its first playoff berth after consecutive 8-8 seasons.

"He's been the constant, and he has stayed the course," says Texans coach Gary Kubiak. "A lot of guys could get frustrated, but he's committed to this team and this organization taking the next step. … He's as good a worker as I've ever been around, and I've been around some good ones, Jerry Rice, Rod Smith, those guys. And believe me this guy is as good a worker as I've ever seen."

While Johnson worked last week in camp, his 10-year-old fan got to watch his every move from the sideline.

Before coming here, Walker had written a letter to Kubiak and Texans' president Jamey Rootes detailing his admiration for Johnson and saying he would be visiting camp.

When Walker and his mother, Linda Gail Walker, arrived to sit in the stands, they were contacted by phone by a member of Rootes' staff and given passes to watch from the field.

Johnson was told about their visit. He spent time with the youngster on the field.

"I've got your letter. I'll stay in touch," Johnson told Walker after they posed for photos.

Johnson says the experience was a reminder to him that young fans watch how he conducts himself.

"It definitely keeps me on my Ps & Qs," says Johnson. " … I can appreciate him following me and looking up to me as his role model."

No comments:

Post a Comment