Thursday, July 9, 2009

Kids Say The Darndest Things


I was doing some work for a friend of mine the other day and heard a young man say something that I thought was just great.


As we were working that afternoon out in the field my friends nephew came out to see what we were doing. This young boy is about 9 or 10 years old. I hadn't seen him in a long while and he came up to greet me. I noticed that he had a full leg brace on one of his legs and asked him what happened. He told me that he had fractured his knee cap. Immediately I was thinking about how painful that would be. I myself have never broken a bone(knock on wood), but I can't imagine what a fractured knee cap would feel like. Anyway, I went on to ask him how this injury of his had come about and he told me that it happened playing baseball. I joked with him about how at least he had a good sports injury story to tell the girls and he just laughed. Then he went on to tell me that it happened while sliding into home. Before I could say another word he said, "Well hey, at least I scored," and if I remember correctly he scored the winning run for his team. I loved his response. Here is a 9 or 10 year old kid that wanted to win. He had gotten hurt in the process and who knows maybe cried(I probably would have... it's a fractured knee cap) but looking back on his injury he was at least able to say that he layed it all on the line to help his team win. I think this is something that is truly lacking in little league sports today. The kids have no desire to win and no hatred for losing. Which is what I believe to be some basic yet vitally important lessons to be learned in little league. I just thought I would share this story with you. I enjoyed my conversation with the young man and he let me know that there is still that will and desire out there.
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment