Saturday, March 14, 2009

Orange Crush


I can't say enough about what I've seen the Syracuse Orange do in the past couple of days. I'm sure everyone in the sports world has heard about the amazing 6 overtime game they played on Thursday against #4 UCONN. But they continued to impress as they played again, less then 24 hours later, and went into overtime to win against West Virgina. These guys just gave it all they had. Unfortunately they fell short tonight against Louisville in the Big East championship game, but they were still a joy to watch. Everyone on the team played with such will and desire. The one who stood out most to me was sophomore PG Jonny Flynn. This kid never ever stops. He played every minute against UCONN and then again against West Virginia. This afternoon(before the Big East championship tonight) Flynn was found in the weight room of the hotel getting in a light workout. When coach (Jim) Boeheim asked him if he was alright, he had this to say: "Coach what do you think? There is nothing more I love in life than playing basketball. Let's go win a championship." As a coach I don't see how you couldn't love this kid. And I'm sure coach Boeheim will be glad to see Flynn coming back next year(that is unless he heads to the draft). He was playing off fumes and still had more will and drive than many players you see today. My high school football coach used to always tell me that the best thing he could ever say about a kid is that "his motor runs." I think its fair to say that about Flynn. He, and the Orange, got me glued to the t.v. the past two nights to see if they could pull out another one. And, even though I am a huge Tennessee fan, I look forward to seeing what Syracuse can do in the tournament. The madness is upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment